Wednesday 8 October 2014

Every traveller has a tale to tell

'Why do you go away? So that you can come back. So that you can see the place you came from with new eyes and extra colours. And the people there see you differently, too. Coming back to where you started is not the same as never leaving.' I love that quote from Terry Pratchett - I'm not sure if it’s true for every traveller though.

Summing up over 5 months of travelling in this blog post would be difficult, but I think it's fair to say that a trip which saw me and my girlfriend Fiona visit Thailand, Singapore, Vietnam, Hong Kong, Beijing, Japan, the USA and Canada was certainly a trip we’ll never forget. 

The purpose of my sabbatical leave was to travel and gain life experiences. Whilst travelling, I couldn’t help but notice some projects and ideas that I feel are worth exploring in my job role at CHC. For example, Portland (Oregon) in the USA which has earned its reputation as one of the greenest cities in the USA. This reputation is enhanced by information which reveals that Portland, for example, uses 20 percent more renewable energy than the national average and it was one of the first cities to ban plastic bags. Of course, there was some bad practice as well, but I won't pick out anything in particular for this blog post.

I think travelling has made me realise how different countries might approach certain things differently. It’s an obvious statement in a way, but actually seeing good and bad practice around the world was very interesting. However, I’ve only scratched the surface as there’s so much of the world that I haven’t seen. 

Now I’m back at CHC, one of the priorities for me has to be further exploring the potential for European funding for renewable energy and energy efficiency funding in order to help get a project bid in place. I’m planning to be out and about at conferences and meetings trying to catch up with people and find out who’s been up to what in the past 6 months or so, so if you see me, don’t be afraid to say hello! 



Ko Phi Phi, Thailand



Shea Jones
Energy and Sustainability Officer  
   



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!