Thursday 29 October 2015

Gareth's story

Read about how the Supporting People Programme changed Gareth's life for the better...

What were the circumstances which led to you needing your support provider?

I was homeless and living in a tent. I was trying to overcome drug addiction but this is difficult when you don’t have secure accommodation.

Which organisation/support provider helped you?
Solas' Dyfrig House scheme in Cardiff

How did your support provider help you? Dyfrig House is a place where I feel safe. I have been in other hostels where I feel like I have to watch my back, but not here. Support to go swimming has helped improve my self confidence. I wouldn’t have liked using the changing room with lots of other people when I was homeless, but I now feel confident, even when it’s busy. I’ve also had support to enrol on the Footsteps to Recovery programme to address my substance misuse issues and now that I have completed this I have enrolled on the MILE programme to help me fulfil my life goal of becoming a substance misuse worker.

What did you find most valuable about your support provider?
The fact that it is a dry hostel means I feel safe.

Where would you be now if it wasn’t for your support provider?
I really couldn’t say, but a lot closer to my death for sure.

What are your hopes and aspirations for the future?
To become a substance misuse worker. For now I need to stay clean, complete the MILE programme and start my volunteering.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!