Wednesday 28 August 2013

Moving on and looking ahead

It is a little self indulgent to write this blog post, but what the heck. After almost 4 years at CHC I am, as the cliché goes, off to pastures new. I have worked across a range of housing policy areas in this small but dynamic organisation including housing management, community regeneration, rural housing, support, older people, equality and, more recently, worked on the vast learning and improvement programme of conferences, events and also commercial members. I have been fortunate to cram a lot of learning into a relatively short space of time, and met many inspirational people who are helping to empower communities and individuals across Wales to make positive changes to their lives. I feel very proud to have been involved with the huge range of policy, learning and events which I know are amongst the best the Welsh housing sector has to offer.

It is quite rare for anyone to leave CHC and there is a good reason for that. It’s a fantastic team and organisation, and the values are second to none. However, the time was right for me to go back to a housing association and I was delighted to be offered the role at Newydd Housing Association as their Community Partnership Manager. I am excited to take forward the great work on regeneration and tenant involvement across the 11 local authority areas Newydd covers. I feel lucky to be staying in such an innovative sector that really does make a difference.

So what is coming up at CHC? Our One Big Housing UnConference is being held on 10/11 October 2013 at the Metropole Hotel, Llandrindod Wells. I really feel that this one will be the best yet (I am slightly biased, but still…). As I'm leaving CHC in September, I’ve already signed up as a delegate to attend in my new role! I love the relaxed and informal atmosphere, the networking and the chance to hear so many great speakers and attend practical workshops. I particularly like the ‘UnConference’ theme, especially the fact that you can leave a workshop if it isn’t for you and go where you can contribute and learn the most. I am looking forward to seeing many of you at the event and continuing to contribute to the work of the housing movement in Wales.

Another big event coming up is the ‘Let’s talk about...’ conference which has a PR and Communication angle for the big housing issues. This event is on 4/5 December in Llandrindod Wells. If your role is about communicating in your organisation to staff, tenants or stakeholders, then you’ll find this one really useful. I’ve had a sneaky peak at the packed agenda and it is very diverse and inspiring! The full programme should be published at the end of September. Keep an eye on the CHC website.

My new email address will be kevin.howell@newydd.co.uk and I will be starting my new role on 16 September 2013. I look forward to networking with you in my new role!


Kevin Howell
Learning and Improvement Manager
Community Housing Cymru

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!